This recipe came from a cook book I got from Argentina. I never had this while I was down there, but I had plenty of variations of it with different vegetables (chards and potatoes). It turned out pretty tasty and is a good alternative to use your wilting lettuce.Ingredients
- 3/4 c. oil (only 1/2 if you bake it)
- 2 c. shredded lettuce
- 1/2 a medium onion (the recipe calls for a whole one, but half of one was plenty)
- 2 tbls. flour
- 4 eggs
- Heat 1/2 c. oil, add onions and fry till transparent. Add lettuce and mix thoroughly.
- Remove from heat and mix in flour.
- Beat together eggs andd salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste.
- Pour onion/lettuce mixture into egg mixture and add a little oil. Mix well.
- (If baking skip to step 7)Heat up remaining oil in frying pan and pour egg/lettuce mixture into pan.
- Brown on both sides, server very hot.
- If baking, pour mixture into greased baking pan and bake until brown on edges. Serve either hot or cold.
Yields: 2 servings (if that's your main course, otherwise you could get 4 small portions)