- 1 lb. dried pinto beans (fresh)*
- 1-3 1/2 lb. bone-in pork loin roast
- 2-4 oz. cans chopped green chilis
- 1-10 oz. can diced tomatoes and green chilis
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbl. chili powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 32 oz. chicken broth (if you use boullion cubes, omit salt and add to taste after cooking)
- 1 tsp. salt
Rinse and sort beans. Place beans in bottom of crock pot. Add roast and all other ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 7 hours or cook on high for one hour and low for 10 hours. Remove bones and fat from roast; pull roast into bite size pieces with forks. Return meat to crock pot and stir.
Serve in bowls as stew with tortillas for a side, or uncover for the last hour and broth will thicken and can be used in taco shell bowls for another great tasting dish!
* If you are using beans from your food storage, they will probably need to be soaked overnight in order to be done at the same time as the roast. Rinse them after soaking to help omit the gases the beans form while cooking. The older the beans are, the longer they take to cook. I have even had to cook mine a little before adding them to this dish. Yes, mine are from storage. The nutritional value is still there, you just have to love them a little more!