You can thank Betty Crocker and a little bit of experimenting on my part for this recipe. It's perfect for cold autumn mornings!
- Apples, preferably the tasty McIntosh apples from upstate New York. :)
- 1/4 cup water for approximately every 5 medium-sized apples
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or 3-4 tbsp white sugar for approximately every 5 medium-sized apples
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, again, for approximately every 5 medium-sized apples
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg -- you guessed it -- for approximately every 5 medium-sized apples
Peel apples if desired, but if you choose to do so, please realize that you're doing more work than necessary for applesauce that won't be quite as healthy. Cut apples into fourths, toss in a crockpot, top with water, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cook on high for about 2 hours or until apples are soft. Mash apples using an electric hand mixer -- because we all know electric mixers make things easier. Serve warm or chilled -- both are delicious.